Cloud Engineer, from Berne
Cloud native ist Dino’s Welt! In der Cloud Native Umgebung fühlt sich Dino Zuhause! Er hat bereits etliche IaC-unterstützte Architekturen für verschiedenste Anwendungen erstellt und kennt deren Besonderheiten. Dino ist zertifiziert in:
- AWS DevOps Engineer Professional
- AWS Developer Associate
- AWS SysOps Administrator Associate
- AWS Solutions Architect Associate
- Hashicorp Terraform Associate
My AWS re:Invent 2022 Highlights
To compensate a bit for the jet lag Daniel, Fabian and I arrived in Las Vegas a few days before the actual start of the conference. We had decided to book one of the most famous hotels in Las Vegas, the Hotel Mirage. However, we did not know that the NFR Las Vegas 2022 rodeo show was taking place in the same week. Thus, the Hotel Mirage was accordingly full of cowboys and cowgirls, and even though we didn't have much luck playing cards against them, we still felt like we were in a Western movie.
I was very excited and anxious to see what AWS had prepared for us this year. I was expecting technical innovations and wanted to feel the pulse of where the cloud market is headed in the near future.
There were many session blockers which had to find their own place in my schedule. At this point, it's important to mention that there were over 1500 total sessions to choose from that week. Some of them were more technical, while others were more geared towards startups, founders and managers. There were also sessions that were just for sharing experiences, insights, and the direction that AWS cloud technologies are headed in the foreseeable future.
So, in the end, my calendar for the week was appropriately well filled with appointments, although the many in-person 1:1 meetings that I was happy to attend were not even in it due to their spontaneous nature.
We were able to make the best use of the free time between the sessions for all the entertaining activities and offerings that happened all around. For example, at the informal get-together with lively exchange in the Jam Lounge or in the coffee and content hub areas. But also strolling through the Expo was very interesting and also gave us the opportunity to collect a few more SWAGs along the way.
Besides the, for me generally very inspiring meetings and getting to know existing and potential partners from all over the world, especially the exchange of ideas with other partners from the AWS DACH region and meeting with colleagues from Southern Europe, especially the Balkan region, was one of the biggest highlights for me.
Furthermore, there were also some updates with AWS RedShift Data Warehouse and Event Bridge Services, which are extremely interesting and helpful for our Data Lakes projects.
My personal product highlights of the AWS re:Invent 2022
- Visually composing serverless applications
- Generating IaC from a diagram
- Maintaining infrastructure model based on the diagram and IaC that follows best practices
- Share your infrastructure diagram with colleagues and improve entire application by modifying an existing diagram
- Unified software development service
- Fully managed by AWS, thus allowing clients to focus on development
- Availability of blueprints ready to spin up in matter of few minutes
- Ability to integrate your development environment in cloud with your preferred local IDE
- Easily setup your CI/CD for your code execution
- Think Github Co-pilot
- ML-powered managed service
- Allows for suggestions and code snippet recommendations based on comments in natural language and codebase in an IDE
- Ability to generate entire code blocks and functions without having to search web for it
- Application Layer service
- Ability to simplify service-to-service connectivity at scale
- Allows for enhanced application level security
- Ability to implement granular traffic controls
- Allows for visibility in service-to-service interactions
Nevertheless, it was a very exciting and educational time at AWS re:Invent 2022 and I am grateful to have been a part of this amazing event.
Finally, we decided spontaneously to spend another week in the US after AWS re:Invent. So, besides attending the NBA game in Salt Lake City, we also spent some great and impressive days in Zion National Park in the state of Utah, which was definitely the biggest highlight of the second week.
If you have any questions about AWS and re:Invent 2022, please feel free to contact me (), Daniel Heinzmann () or Matthias Imsand ().